Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Comments about the Autism Center from Cheryl Dieter

Today I spent the day at the autism center. They have multiple classrooms where they teach speech, do sensory play, learn to sit quietly, etc. Mostly I worked on press releases and re-doing some Joy Center informational media info. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind but it needed to be done. I saw horrid pictures of children whose hands and feet were bound because they were hurting themselves and witch doctors told the parents they were possessed. Another child had been kept in chains and confined to a dark room for months. When released she could not tolerate the sunlight as she had not seen any in so long. It was pretty unbelievable and sad.

They were thrilled with the items that were brought especially the autism awareness braclets as they are having a big festival. Zemi was also grateful for the CARRS tests thanks to the Autism Center at Fresno State and the things I brought from Exceptional Parents in Fresno.

I went back to Layla House and almost immediately headed out to Big and Little A Hope. This is an orphanage for children with AIDS. They are given the AIDS cocktail and most of the kids appear to be doing okay except for one little guy with a distended stomach who was 4 and looked to be about 2. The facilities themselves, however, had huge needs. New cribs, stimulating toys, more clothes, etc really appear to be needed.

The kids at Big A Hope were doing homework when we were there. They were so proud to show what they were learning. I saw a lot of women carrying water containers down to a local well. Also saw the local butcher with his goats in front of a store, one of them down to just feet and entrails if you get what I mean. Lots of interesting sights. Men carrying bundles on their heads and construction done with wooden scaffolding. The women here are just beautiful. It is funny there is a sort of pit barbecue place out front and I hear country music coming from it!

Life is good.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

HI!! I love what you are doing!!! You are great!!! I love the Lord to!! (By the way this is Abigail from Grace's class!) I hope you keep well!!
By

Unknown said...

hi i am sure you guys are having a great time and you are helping alot of children by

Allegra said...

That's so sad! I mean, come ON, possesed? Just because they're different? *shakes head*