Saturday, April 4, 2009

A story from Kelly

It is a million stories, all similar, all heartbreaking, all totally unbelievable... but today it was only one story told to me (kelly) by a beautiful 14 year old girl, Meg (not her real name).


As we sat on the steps by the playground she began to open up to me. I’m not sure why, maybe because it was our last day, maybe she felt safe with me, maybe she just needed to talk. The story begins with all of the children receiving mail from their “new” families. Meg did not have a letter, but we all know she has a family... which she has been oddly shy about... almost mad or bitter. She has only been at the orphanage for 3 or 4 weeks. She has a family waiting for her in America...here is her story. Her mother is dying of AIDS. Her brother is grown and gone. For as long as she can remember it has been Meg and her mom. I’m not sure how long her mom has been sick, but here is what she told me:


“it has been my business, and only my business to care for my mother. I love my mother. When she is thirsty I give her drink. When she needs food I give her food. I am the only one. When she needs I give her medicine. Who will care for her now? Who? When I was nine, I was on street to find birr. This is my only business. This is how I work for my mother. This is all I do. When I was nine I was hit by a car while I was begging for birr (she has a large scar on her ankle). I never knew of my father. My grandfather wanted my mother to take me out of her stomach, or to leave me in the garbage. She would not! I hate my grandfather. I do not talk to him. Who will care for my mother now? I am the only one. I am the only one.”


So, Meg is going to the United States to be with her new family within a year... and she is heart broken. Her Mother has given her away, and she doesn't want a “new” family. I think I just assumed that is all these kids wanted... a new family, a good life, but there is so much more... the picture is so much bigger than I thought. My heart is broken. All of our hearts should be broken for these children... a “new” mom and an ipod is not going to make things, better is it?

3 comments:

jennifer said...

A new family will not fix Meg's broken heart but it will education her and surround her with love and hopefully she will return her country to give back the help they need. What future does Meg have when her mother succumbs to her disease? Adoption is certainly not the cure; more like a band-aid to stop the bleeding of orphans.
My girls are not happy to be in America but they are very happy to have a mom & dad.
Have a wonderful trip home, can't wait to talk recap!
Jennifer

Allegra said...

That is sad! I would be terrified if that happened to me!

Anonymous said...

true, adoptive parents can not make the hurts of the past disappear or make a damaged brain suddenly heal or make years of neglect and scorn like they never happened. all they can do is love unconditionally on the day a child joins their family and try to lessen the impact of hurtful things that have happened and to try to let the child know that they are on their side. its not easy, but seeing a child thrive, who once was wasting away, makes all the blood, sweat, and tears worth it. praying for meg and both of her mothers....