Wednesday, April 16, 2014

April 16- --Korah Post by Kyle Fox, Sam Starr and Makayla Meinert


Korah City Dump visit Wednesday 
Day 5:

"Wednesday, Korah home visit, where we were shown the purest hospitality I've ever experienced! Her name is Allum and she is a single mother raising three children...her husband died several years ago, leaving her unprepared to provide for her children.
She gave us her testimony and we shared our favorite scripture verses with her. We left knowing without a doubt, that as sisters in Christ, we would see each other again!"
 — Grace Dahlgren

Samuel Fekadu









Wednesday, April 16 Reflection by Kyle Fox Sam Starr and Makayla Meinert,
       By Kyle Fox:
      Sorry for the late blog. We have been eating and enjoying a very entertaining night at Yod Abyssinia. Kaylee got married to some random guy. Of course neither Kaylee or the guy understand Amharic (their language) so they didn't even know what was going on. They also did the most impressive dancing I have seen in my life. They enjoyed making fun of all of us Americans because we had no idea what they were saying. It was an awesome night and such a fun experience.
        Today was a very different experience as we got to go on a home visit. The woman whose house we visited had 4 children and she had no job, and her husband is a begger. Their family has to get their food from the dump at times. Yes, the dump. She and her husband have both had leprosy. She is missing toes and her husband is missing a leg from the disease. Her husbands mother also lives with them and is very sick. The woman stays at home to take care of the kids, her mother in law, and the house that is made out of mud and hay.

       She described to us how much she relies on God all of the time. She said somehow they always get their rent paid for, and they always end up having food. I've read about situations like that, but to experience one in real life was so crazy. We may say we rely on God and we trust him but do we really? That story right there is a true example of relying on God. And get this-- we arrived at their home and they made coffee for us! They roast the beans on the coals, then crush the beans by hand, then heat up the water, then mix them up and serve it to us. THEY SERVE US. They have close to nothing and they are serving us. That's someone that has learned to be thankful no matter the circumstance.
        I don't want to leave this place at all. I want to stay here and play with the kids every day. Words can't describe how much I love the kids we got to be with at Kind Hearts school. I'm seriously sitting here trying to think how to describe how amazing they are. Either I just don't have a big enough vocabulary to describe it, or there just simply isn't words to describe it.
-Kyle Fox

By Sam Starr:
        Today was an experience that has been different from the rest. We had the opportunity to go on a home visit. The lady we visited lived in a very small mud hut. There were 3 beds and a small counter/ kitchen area. The woman had 3 kids a husband and also a sick mother in law living with her. It is crazy to think that all of those people live in that little hut together. They had so much joy and were so thankful and content with what they had. They solely relied on God to provide for them. It was very eye opening. I thought about how in America we worry about so much. We worry about money, we get upset when our phones die, we worry about our appearance,  and all kinds of consumer goods. The people that we visited dont even know how they are going to get their next meal, and they are the most joyful people ever. It was an awesome experience that I hope I never forget. Before we left we prayed for her, she then told us "we may have different skin, and live in different places, but we are one in jesus." It was an overall beautiful experience.
-Sam Starr

By Makayla Meinert:
       It seems almost trivial to attempt to put words to the experiences this day held. We started the day off with a devotional that discussed getting down and dirty for Jesus, shying away from the stereotypical cleanliness that fits so perfectly into that American comfort zone. This morning I didn't realize how "dirty" we would get. And let me tell you, I LOVED it! Perhaps one of the major highlights of the day was the time our group spent in Korah. Korah is a region in Addis Ababa that is the poorest of the poor. We were told there are approximately 130,000 people In the area. I have been thinking throughout the day about how I could possibly describe our heart-wrenching, joy-filled day. So, here is my attempt. Let me me take you on a brief journey through our five senses.

Sight:
Everything I see in Ethiopia is new. There is hardly a familiar sight. But after the first few days in Ethiopia, I thought the shock factor was coming to a close. Today, my world was rocked by what I saw. Our lovely drivers pulled off on the side of the road. Most roads in Ethiopia are composed of dirt, gravel, even small-scaled boulders that can take out a transmission. As we walked down the narrow walk-ways, there were homes packed on both sides. As we walked by the people who live in Korah, my eyes were always met with a smile. Let me tell you, Ethiopians always look you in the eye and smile. I was walking toward the front of our group and a woman joyfully walked up to me and embraced me...she also spoke to me, but I don't yet speak Amhark. I wasn't caught off guard at all but I felt this overwhelming sense of peace. She introduced herself as Alem. Alem guided us back to her home. It consisted of one room about a fourth of the size of my kitchen. She had one bed, a small table, and an armoire with kitchen supplies. We all crammed into her warm house as she prepared a coffee ceremony for us.
Smell:

The only familiar smell I have encountered in Ethiopia is coffee. As I sat down on Alem's bed, I couldn't help but tear up at the smell of hospitality. She popped popcorn and made coffee for us. Perhaps this seems like a small gesture, but it was anything but small.
Auditory:
Alem's voice was beautiful. I loved hearing Alem speak Amhark. We were blessed by two of our guys who translated for us! Though there was a language barrier, there was not a love barrier. Off in the distance, the city of Addis was broadcasting an Eastern Orthodox prayer. The whole experience seems so surreal.
Taste:
To my Starbucks people--our coffee doesn't compare!! It amazed me to see Alem prepare so much for our group with so little space! The popcorn and coffee doesn't even come close to the touch we felt by this strong woman of God.
Touch:
Today I encountered God through Alem's touch. Her physical touch? Yes. But my heart was touched by her story. Her husband passed away years ago. Before he died, she was employed by an organization in Korah that kept her heading to the dump to scrounge for anything that could keep her family fueled. That organization fell through and she was left to raise three children with no source of income. She put herself on the street to beg. At that time, she didn't know God. She described breaking down and asking God into her life. She now serves as an elder in her church and her sweet kindergartener sings in the choir. Her sixteen-year-old son, Joseph, is the head of the house. Instead of going to school each day, he journeys to the city dump to find necessities to keep their family going. This story broke my heart. In the same regard, it refueled my faith. Alem is a strong woman, full of joy and hope in our Lord. She seems content and at peace. Today we went to Alem's home with the intent to bless her. I believe we did. But the blessing of Alem's touch was far greater than I could ever put into words. I will carry this day in my heart for the rest of my life.
Makayla Meinert



Wednesday Night
After visits the group headed to YOD Abyssinia Restaurant for a traditional Ethiopian meal and dancing.  The group had a great time of food, fun and fellowship.  It was a late night getting back to the guest house, but all are in good spirits and healthy.  Thursday the crew will visit Trees of Glory school.
Ending the day at a cultural restaurant YOD Abyssinia- Ethiopian soccer jerseys on boys and Henok in Mizzou
Kaylee dressed up as an Ethiopian bride at YOD Abyssinia Restaurant
Mollie dancing at YOD Abyssinia
Tonight we ate at Yod Abyssinia, which puts on an Ethiopian dance show. We ate cow stomach!




Ali and Joey with Habti
Habti our driver
Habti (our driver) and Henok (our guide) in Mizzou gear!
Meal/Devotion time
Some FB posts from Mrs. Zuidema :)

Wed:  "On this trip...the teacher is being taught by the students. This morning Matthew Corkins nailed it in devotions!"

Tues:  "Blessed experiences over the past two days at Kind Hearts. My heart is full. Loving on the children, sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ, holding hands around the well and thanking God for it...blessed!

Experienced a spiritual highlight during group devotions last night as Sam Starr shared about his love for God. Inspired by the young men on this trip: Sam and Mack Starr, Matthew Corkins, Kyle Fox, and Chris Frye. My heart is full. Off to Kind-Hearts this morning!"

Sunday: "Ethiopians can teach Americans a thing or two about worshipping the Lord!"

"We arrived safely in Addis yesterday and took a tour of a mountain church and cave where Ethiopian tradition says the Ark of the Covenant rested for centuries. This a beautiful country! I am glad for a good night's sleep and ready for a full day. We will attend an international Christian church this morning."


No comments: